Friday, November 10, 2006

FREE FPA!



The FPA has decided to continue the tradition of hostility to any business in Five Points that asks questions on how hospitality money is spent in the area.

Everything is taken personally, and the organization still doesn’t get it.

They also still haven’t provided the following records request to City Paper. Here’s the request they are dodging:
Pursuant to the state open records law, S.C. Code Ann. sec. 30-4-10 to 30-4-165, Columbia City Paper, LLC ("CCP") is requesting the following information from the Five Points Association ("FPA")

List of all grants and money received from public institutions in years 1995-2006
Staff salaries for the years 1995-2006
Financial statements and budgets for fiscal years 2005 & 2006
All bank statements for years 2005-2006
Ballots for elected positions in 2005 & 2006
Surveys completed for Five Points After Five
Minutes from past 12 board meetings
Salary, commission, expenses and any other compensation paid to Jack Van Loan for years 2005 & 2006
Salary, commission, expenses and any other compensation paid to Skip Anderson for years 2005 & 2006
Detailed recipients of beer sale commissions and recipients of wristband sales commissions

This information will eventually be provided one way or another.
Stay Tuned.

The image above is part of the “FREE GENERICA” campaign that the boys at Riggs Ad Agency came up with. It was an impressive presentation and the ads that they run will certainly do some good for the area.

However it is a shame that the FPA continues to be hostile towards City Paper, a Five Points based business and paying member of the FPA. The boys from the Riggs agency were even a bit defensive about the issue themselves, but I guess deep down they must see the irony of their fantastic campaign not being promoted in locally owned media like the Columbia Star and City Paper (a paying member of the very Association they are trying to promote). And, after all, the "Free Generica" campaign loses some steam when the ad dollars are shipped out of state. But, that's been the tradition of the FPA; they never think of 5 Points businesses first.

To that end, we love the Gamecock and are glad they're included in the campaign, but seeing as USC will be out of session for the majority of the holiday season, it seems odd that the FPA would not include a 5 Points based newspaper like us to take over the advertising load while the Gamecock isn't in print.

Fortunately, the majority of the small businesses are supporting each other.
Sure there are board members like John Green and Jeff Whitt that have over the top defensive reactions to City Paper questioning things, but no one is asking for financial information on their personal businesses. The taxpayers have a right to certain information and so do the 77 Five Points merchants that singed petitions against parking meters.

The boys at Riggs really understand how basic marketing works, and think these news reports and requests somehow benefit City Paper. They are right, doing the right thing and continuing to do reporting is making our papers fly off the racks.

For that, I thank Fat organizations like the FPA misspending taxpayer money.

And I also sincerely thank Riggs for such a great campaign. Lets hope the media buy helps keep some of my fellow Five Points merchants in business.

-- Paul Blake

7 comments:

Larry F. said...

The Gamecock for a holiday campaign?

Genius....to bad all the students will be away.

Sure looks like FPA is avoiding City Paper

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Anonymous said...

Hey,nice blog!!! I found a place where you can make an extra $800 or more a month. I do it part time and make a lot more than that. It is definitely worth a visit! You can do it in your spare time and make good cash. Make Extra Cash

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

stephen h. said...

Are you kidding me? That Free Generica Campaign looked like my 10 year old sister came up with it.
I didn't even know what the hell it ws for until I came to this this blog.